Paul working for you.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Candy cigarettes should be banned from stores in town

Candy cigarettes should be banned from stores in town

To The Editor: 12/13/2013
J.L. Butts
Baldwinville

To The Editor:

I am writing this letter in hopes of getting some sort of response from Templeton officials.

Approximately three months ago, I noticed two small children, maybe 12-years-old, smoking in a store parking lot in Templeton.

As I proceeded to say something to them from across the way, they informed me that they were candy cigarettes. Personally, I thought that the marketing and sale of such products to children was against the law. I guess new smokers have to come from somewhere!


As I walked into the store, I saw that the candy cigarettes were marketed and sold from the counter. Probably a carton holding maybe 50 packs. All different colors to match your particular brand of real cigarettes of course. Twenty-nine cents a pack. Not bad! I bought two packs.

After returning home and looking over the pack we noticed they were neither child nor tamper proof. (Remember Tylenol.)

The following day, I arrived at the office of the  Board of Health and voiced my concerns to the person in the office at the time and presented them with a non-tamper proof pack of candy cigarettes.

After a short 10 minute conversation, it was readily agreed that unsealed food products should not be sold for the protection of the consumers and candy cigarettes should absolutely not be sold to children.

An e-mail would be sent. I refrained from saying anything to the clerk at the store partly because I wasn’t sure of the legality, but also in the hopes that if there are other stores in Templeton and surrounding communities selling the same products to kids the B.O.H. could take the proper steps to stop this practice.

Two to three weeks had gone by and the sale of the product was still going on.  Again I visited the office to voice my concerns. The person I spoke to was aware of my previous visit and was also wholeheartedly against the marketing of such products to children. I was assured that the information was being passed along.

After a few more weeks had gone by, I spoke to one of the selectman and reiterated everything  I told the B.O.H. They were going to see what they could do. Weeks passed again with no response. I again spoke to a selectman prior to the town meeting and was told that it would be brought up soon. As far as I know this subject has not been addressed as of yet.

I understand that this is not a top priority for our town officials as they have many irons in the fire. But if stopping the sale of candy cigarettes prevents even one young person from smoking, well then, we win.

I have been a smoker for 25-plus years and have tried to quit many times. It is an awful addictive habit that takes years to break and can lead to catastrophic health issues.

Including death. Are we making tobacco companies too big to fail? If Templeton really does pride itself on the welfare of its children, then let’s do something about this now. What’s next? The sale of toy syringes?

J.L. Butts
Baldwinville


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like there is a ban on candy and fruit flavored cigarettes as according to the FDA these are gateway products to future tobacco use.
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm183211.htm
    I can see your point John.

    ReplyDelete