Paul working for you.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Greater Gardner Community bids farewell to Sen. Brewer

Greater Gardner Community bids farewell to Sen. Brewer

Retirement announcement made after four decades of service
Kimberly Petalas
News Staff Writer




GARDNER — “It’s way too early for my wake,” joked Sen. Steven Brewer, D-Barre, as the crowd gave him a standing ovation. 

Dozens of city and town officials, business owners and community members gathered at Mount Wachusett Community College on Friday to honor and say goodbye to Sen. Brewer, who has announced he will be retiring after 40 years of political service.

As part of his retirement, Sen. Brewer said he would like to spend time learning to play the ukulele, to which President Asquino presented him with an instrument and plugged a class offered at the Gardner campus.

“For nearly forty years, four decades, if you count his service as selectmen, chair of the board of selectmen, aide to (former) Sen. Bob Wetmore, state representative, state senator, chairman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, he has been making sweet music for the residents and citizens of not only North Central Massachusetts, but the entire Commonwealth of Massachusetts,” said MWCC President Daniel Asquino. “He’s just a model, fine human being.”


In addition to President Asquino, Mayor Mark Hawke had a few kind words to say about Sen. Brewer and his career.

“This is an odd occurrence, and I won’t say who is who, but you have Republicans and Democrats at the head table and interspersed throughout this entire room, here for one reason … Senator Brewer,” said Mayor Hawke. “One thing (my father) told me a very long time ago, he said ‘Steve Brewer is a good man’, and I haven’t been able to find fault with that statement yet. He has been a second senator to Gardner. He doesn’t represent us, but you’d never know it. He’s always here.”

Mayor Hawke, who has known Sen. Brewer both on a personal level and on the political stage, said Sen. Brewer is not a politician, but rather, a statesman.

“The difference between a politician and a statesman is that a politician always looks to the next election, whereas a statesman will look to the next generation,” the mayor continued. “Steve Brewer, you are a statesman. This isn’t my own thought. My dad had a t-shirt that said it. Truer things have never been put on a t-shirt than that.”

Worcester County Sheriff Lewis Evangelidis was on hand to recount his time with the senator, back when the sheriff was a state representative.

“My first public event I go to. I’m  state rep., I just got elected, a little nervous, and it’s a DARE ceremony in Rutland,” said the sheriff. “The place is packed. It’s a huge gymnasium, must be thousands of people there. Senator Brewer had to go to some event, in Templeton if I remember correctly, so he gets up and goes first. Before this man was done, he had people laughing, crying, standing, sitting, it was incredible. I was watching the whole thing with my jaw ready to drop, thinking ‘Of course I have to give my speech after this.’ Then he walks out, says ‘God Bless America’ he has the whole place standing up, I swear to God there were people reciting the pledge of allegiance and crying. Standing ovation, everyone sits down, and I swear you could hear a pin drop. Then they introduce me. I don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I stood up there and said ‘I would just like to say, I wrote that speech for Sen. Brewer and he delivered it perfectly.’ I basically sat down because that was the best I could do.”

State Rep. Anne Gobi, D-Spencer, who has recently announced that she will be running for Sen. Brewer’s seat in the legislature, spoke about his success in the state government, touching on two key issues.

“If it’s a Veteran’s issue … Massachusetts has the best benefits for Veterans in the entire United States. You know what? You know who that is due to? That guy sitting right there … Steve Brewer,” said Rep. Gobi. “We mourn the death of two firefighters. Guess who it was that made sure firefighter families would have a death benefit? You know who that was? Steve Brewer. In the next couple days I know he will be back fighting to make sure there is enough money in that account and I know he’s even working to up the amount in that account so those two firefighters and their families and those three little kids under 10-years-old will be taken care of and who’s doing that? Steve Brewer. And on and on and on I could go.”

Last but not least, Sen. Jennifer Flanagan, D-Leominster, who Sen. Brewer refers to as “one of his daughters,” gave an emotional speech about her personal connection to the senator.

“We have a lot of representatives and senators here in Central Massachusetts. We all know if we need to look to somebody, Steve Brewer is the guy that we go to because we are going to get an honest answer. We’re going to get a heartfelt answer and we’re going to get help,” said Sen. Flanagan. “Having spent 18 years on Beacon Hill, the one thing I can tell you is that your loyalties are very important, and there’s nothing greater than your word. This is a man I have stayed loyal to over the years and will remain loyal to in the years to come because he has taught me so much. He has taught me what it is like ... not to be a good legislator, but to be a better person, and to go out and really work every day for the people I represent, while also maintaining that balance of family.”

After giving their speeches, Sen. Brewer addressed his colleagues and other members of the audience.

“My career has been blessed. Blessed beyond belief,” said Sen. Brewer. “I came into this arena because of the inspiration of John F. Kennedy, who said ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.’ My brother and I were coming home from Barre high school the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. It was a changing moment in my lifetime.”

Sen. Brewer stressed the importance of political offices and those who fill them.

“My friends, in an era of great cynicism about public officials and politics, government services are a noble calling. You don’t do it for the money, you do it for the love of people,” he said. “This is all I ever wanted to do — be in government, in public service. The people of my district have allowed me to do that. I will ever be eternally grateful.”

Before he leaves office, Sen. Brewer said his main goal is to write the budget for next year, but even after he retires, he plans to stay involved in the political world.

“If there is one thing you take away from this podium today from me, it’s about creating relationships and getting things done,” he said. “The Chinese proverb says ‘It is better to light a single candle, than to curse the darkness.”

News staff photo by ERYN DION

Dozens of city and town officials, business owners and community members gathered at Mount Wachusett Community College on Friday to honor and say goodbye to Sen. Brewer, who has announced he will be retiring after 40 years of political service.



4 comments:

  1. I wish Senator Brewer the best of luck in retirement and hope that a book is forthcoming on his real feelings about the politics of this State and Country. Thank you Senator Brewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senator Brewer may be haunted by the things he did not do while he was in office. He had a chance to clean up some wrongs, but did not have the courage. I am very sad about his lack of support for this little town who will have to fight it's own battles, because of his failure as a leader. It will come out in the wash !! All of it. Bev.

      Delete
    2. Speakers of the House in Massachusetts:
      Charles Flaherty Democratic 1991 –
      April 9, 1996 27th Middlesex District Resigned - pleaded guilty to tax evasion

      Thomas Finneran Democratic April 9, 1996 –
      September 28, 2004 12th Suffolk District Resigned, convicted of Federal charges of obstruction of justice

      Salvatore DiMasi Democratic September 28, 2004 –
      January 27, 2009 3rd Suffolk District Resigned - convicted of conspiracy, honest services fraud, and extortion

      Then of course, we had Senate President Billy Bulger, dubbed a "corrupt midget" by Chief Justice E. George Daher. Any legislator who ever voted for any of those 4 corrupt leaders should be haunted by those votes.

      Delete
    3. Just maybe the list will get a bit longer !!

      Delete