Paul working for you.

Friday, December 21, 2012

STUFF

I was at working, planning a new curriculum unit, when I stumbled upon this website: The Story of Stuff Project. I began poking around and viewing some of the videos. The videos are relatively short about 20 minutes in duration. When I got home from work, I watched the video The Story of Stuff.

Watching the video The Story of Stuff, was an interesting counterpoint to finalizing my frenzied Christmas shopping. Both Pete and I come from large families. A big thank you goes out to whoever came up with the concept of Yankee Swaps. I began to think about how much “stuff” do I really need?

As a librarian (not libertarian), I appreciate the annotations that accompany each video. Backtracking the annotations helps to narrow bias. Is there bias in the Story of Stuff Project? Yes. There is bias in everything.  A different website Worldometers, tracks many different statistics globally. Worldometers also has a FAQ page to explain the source of its numbers. Numbers and statistics have a story to tell. In my opinion, The Story of Stuff Project tells the story behind the numbers in a compelling manner.

So how much “stuff” do you need?

My opinions…supported by FACTS ! ! !

Julie Farrell

2 comments:

  1. These links are really neat! Its a nice break to read about life outside of Templeton sometimes. Thanks for teaching us something new Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure gave me a new way to look at life. I am the Grinch in this house, It drives me nuts to give anyone stuff, just so I can say I gave them something. Would you like a paper shredder for Christmas? That is what Bart wanted to give for a exchange gift at his daughters Christmas Party. I opted for a gift card, Let them buy some thing they need, or want. Tecnology changes so fast, no one can keep up. I must say, we have alot of stuff, but I tend to keep the things I like. I guess that comes from not having much when we were kids. The Story of Stuff, just tells me we took a wrong turn, when we bought into the idea that everything is disposable. When we are done with anything just throw it away. I would gladly go back to milk bottles, but I am only one, so good luck with that. Bev

      Delete