Paul working for you.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fallout from the nuclear option...Facts, Law and ???

Fallout from the nuclear option...Facts, Law and ???

 Additional Information:

 Take two:

By Joshua Lyford, ITEM CORRESPONDENT
STERLING — The Board of Selectmen continued discussion on who will become the next town administrator for the community on Wednesday night. Each of the three candidates — Michael Szlosek, Jeffrey Ritter and Carter Terenzini — had a chance to speak to what makes them strong choices and selectmen had the opportunity to ask them some tough questions.


Each listed his own strengths and weaknesses and each comes with varying degrees of experience in the field of town administration.

Selectman Robert Cutler was unable to attend the last discussion, but was prepared to get to the core of the issues with each candidate Wednesday.

Szlosek served as town administrator in South Hadley and Ludlow, in addition to serving as town manager in Athol and Uxbridge. He has also served as the municipal hearings officer for Ludlow and has had a private law practice.

"My main concern is your short periods of time in different places," Cutler explained to Szlosek. "This is something that you'll have to explain."

"I was in Ludlow for five years and I was offered more money in another town," Szlosek said. "I knew within a week that it was a mistake. I knew it wasn't going to work. It was more of a secretarial position and I went to Uxbridge."

Szlosek explained that his desire to leave Athol is rooted in family and earning a position with no residency requirement.

"That is the issue, it is residency," Szlosek said.

Cutler pressed him further, stating, "There has got to be someone who doesn't like you. To me, that is very important."

"If I could have done it over, I would have never left Ludlow," Szlosek said.

Ritter currently serves as the town coordinator in Templeton and has served as town administrator in Hatfield and as the assistant town administrator in Harvard. He has also served as Harvard's town operations and policy consultant and Massachusetts' state technology administrator.

"You've got a hell of a background," Cutler said. "But, you've got no experience."

"This is a third career for me," Ritter said. "It was time to leave Beacon Hill and rethink my career at 50 years old.

"My decision to put my hat in the ring here is easily explained," Ritter added. "We passed a town override. I had pink slips ready to go for the police department and other departments. In passing the override, the town gave us a saving breath."

Cutler explained that the Sterling Board of Selectmen are split on many issues, with Cutler sitting on the right of most situations.

"I tend to be on the conservative side, the rest of the board leans on the other side," he said, adding "not being critical, but that's how it is."

Ritter described himself as a "peacemaker."

"I am aggressive on waste, I am aggressive on fraud, I am aggressive on stupidity," Ritter said. "Whoever you appoint to this position will be driving this town into the future."

Terenzinis is currently the town administrator of Moultonboro, N.H., and was the town administrator of Spencer for nine years. He was also the city manager of Mt. Morris, Mich., and the town manager of Castleton, Vt.

Cutler brought up an indiscretion with a past employee that occurred eight years ago.

"In the midst of developing a budget and working long hours," Terenzini said, "I developed a relationship with someone — that was my age — that was deeper than it should have been."

He explained that he went to his chairman at the time, they looked into the issue and the employee signed a release explaining consent. The board would eventually extend his contract.

"My board forgave me, my town forgave me, my wife forgave me," he explained. "I'm as upfront and honest as I can be on it."

Cutler asked Terenzini, "What egg shells did you crack to make people unhappy?"

"At any given point in town, a third of the community isn't going to be happy with you," Terenzini said. "I don't think I'd be doing my job if some people weren't unhappy with me."

The board plans to reach an agreement as to who will become the new town administrator in the near future.

Sterling grills town administrator finalists

By Joshua Lyford, CORRESPONDENT

STERLING — Selectmen have yet to pick a new town administrator, as discussion Wednesday brought tough questions to the three remaining candidates.

Selectman Robert Cutler, who was unable to attend the last discussion, was more than prepared to get to the core of the issues with each candidate.

"My main concern is your short periods of time in different places," Mr. Cutler explained to potential town administrator Michael Szlosek. "This is something that you'll have to explain."

"I was in Ludlow for five years and I was offered more money in another town," said Mr. Szlosek, the Athol town manager. "I knew within a week that it was a mistake. I knew it wasn't going to work."

Mr. Cutler questioned candidate Jeffrey Ritter next.

"You've got a hell of a background," said Mr. Cutler. "But you've got no experience."

Mr. Ritter, who was the town administrator in Hatfield and is town coordinator in Templeton, responded.

"My decision to put my hat in the ring here is easily explained," said Mr. Ritter. "We passed a town override. I had pink slips ready to go for the police department and other departments. In passing the override, the town gave us a saving breath."


Finally, Carter Terenzini, former town administrator in Spencer, was ready to discuss his positions, and Mr. Cutler quickly brought up an indiscretion with a past employee. Mr. Terenzini responded quickly and frankly.

"In the midst of developing a budget and working long hours," said Mr. Terenzini, "I developed a relationship with someone — that was my age — that was deeper than it should have been."

"My board forgave me, my town forgave me, my wife forgave me," he went on to explain.

The board will reach an agreement as to who will become the new town administrator at an undetermined time in the near future.

******************************************************

Sterling board to select new administrator

By Ken Cleveland, CORRESPONDENT

STERLING — It's decision time for selectmen, with the board planning to select the town's next administrator at its meeting Wednesday night.

The board is expected to choose among three candidates interviewed last week: Jeffrey Ritter of Harvard, who is Templeton's town coordinator; Carter Terenzini of Spencer, town administrator of Moultonborough, N.H.; and Michael Slzosek of Ludlow, who is Athol town manager.

A search committee narrowed the field to the final three. Selectmen have said they hope the new administrator could be on board in time to work with Town Administrator Terri Ackerman before she leaves at the end of the year.

The board is also slated to decide who will represent the town in legal matters, after earlier interviewing three firms to act as town counsel: current counsel Collins and Weinberg, which has served the town for 30 years; Robert J. Hennigan; and Kopelman and Paige.
 


5 comments:

  1. Vote Bennett for school committee!

    Vote Mitchell for Selectman!

    Remember the past to ensure a better future.

    The nuclear option should never be used.

    Personally, I can't wait to take out nomination papers for school committee this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah Ha Ha...... Good Luck. Calling people gang rapists, then wanting their vote probably wont work, but I may be wrong.

      Delete
    2. Gee I think the Selectman from Sterling is blind in one eye and can't see out the other, if he thinks Mr. Ritter has no experience !! That is just fine with me, I will stand up for this guy any day. Things have run more honestly, and things are in better shape than they have been in many years, with him on board. I hope out BOS, gets things in order to make him our Town Administrator, asap. That will be the finishing touches the town needs to finally have one person in charge on a daily basis. The town is to big to run with the Selectmen meeting on a weekly or biweekly basis because small things need to be taken care of quickly, and Mr. Ritter can handle these things in his usual professional way. After what this town has been through, I know it is not easy to trust anyone with the ability to make decisions for the town, but I would trust him with the task. I am sure the BOS will sit down to set boundaries, for any person in that position to follow. Sterling would be very smart to avoid out old friends at K&P, unless of course they have money to burn. I saw that Hubbardston was very unhappy with the bill K&P turned in. Time for them to make a change for the better. Bev.

      Delete
  2. hmmmm another employee of the town of Templeton trying to bail... geez what s surprise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The working conditions in our town of Templeton have not been a bed of roses for a good number of people. The only way most people in town make decent money is by working for the Water/Light, or for the schools. Mr. Ritter has put up with more grief than most anyone would, and I feel he was feeling very frustrated. I hope this works out for the best, Bev.

      Delete