Paul working for you.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Sen. Markey's response to Pipeline Inquiry

Sen. Markey's response to Pipeline Inquiry

November 14, 2014

Dear Julie:



Thank you for contacting me about proposals to export liquefied natural gas (LNG). I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

Throughout my career in Congress, I have made protecting the environment and preserving America's economic success some of my top priorities. The question of natural gas exports is no exception. The Obama Administration has already approved the export of 4 trillion cubic feet of gas through 6 export terminals. That is nearly equal to all the gas consumed by every home in America.

Low-cost U.S. natural gas is a competitive advantage that is driving a manufacturing renaissance in the United States that has created 700,000 new manufacturing jobs since 2009. Because natural gas prices are not set on a world market, the Department of Energy has estimated that natural gas exports could contribute to a tripling of natural gas prices in the coming decades. Those increased natural gas prices could translate into a $60 billion or more energy tax on American consumers and businesses each year.

Higher U.S. natural gas prices as a result of exports would also have implications for our ability to reduce our carbon pollution. Our emissions of heat trapping gases from the energy sector fell 12 percent from 2005 to 2012. But last year, natural gas prices rose 27 percent and electric utilities increasingly switched from using natural gas to burning coal. As a result, U.S. carbon pollution from the energy sector increased 2 percent in 2013 compared to 2012 levels.

For all of these reasons, I strongly oppose expanded natural gas exports. That is why, on March 6, 2014, I introduced S. 2088, the American Natural Gas Security and Consumer Protection Act. My bill would require the Department of Energy to consider the impacts of any proposed natural gas exports on consumers, our economy and manufacturing sectors, our national security, and our foreign policy in determining whether those exports are in the national interest. I will continue to fight for foreign policy objectives that promote our interest abroad while keeping America strong by ensuring that our natural gas benefits our consumers, economy and security.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. To sign up for my newsletter, visit http://www.markey.senate.gov/newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.



Sincerely,


Signature

Edward J. Markey
United States Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment