Paul working for you.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

from Jeff B



I have recently posted on this blog some items concerning remote participation and the email thread below is part of the reason. It is my opinion that there is a lack of understanding of what is remote participation and what is every day business, responsibility, and duty. As I looked at the posted agenda for May 13, 2013, I saw no mention of a new hire for discussion. I see also that the decision may have come after the 48 hour rule for posting of public meetings. In trying to avoid an open meeting law violation, I simply wanted to amend the agenda, which is allowed under law. Part of the responsibility of a chairman or in this case, vice chair acting as chairman I wanted to make sure the BOS were in compliance with the law. I take my responsibility serious so as I stated, I planned to e-mail the submission of amended agenda to the BOS office so it could be posted with as much leeway as possible. This again was/is normal business and not a meeting, which I am allowed to take part in remotely but someone physically present has to be chair or acting, as required by law. Setting an agenda and attending a meeting is two very different scenarios. I do not want any confusion on what is what. I believe there has been enough misleading information put forth so I would not wish this to be added to the mix. Perhaps the Attorney General can supply some training information on this subject to the selectmen.....forthwith!.
Jeff Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment