Paul working for you.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Regarding Virginia


Since there seems to be some interest in my side of the Virginia Wilder statement / letter of resignation, I thought I would write a small blog on the subject. First off, I was very surprised that Virginia would resign, I thought she would stay and work for those who elected her. She was one of the group known as Let the People Speak so why would she not stay and work for and speak on behalf of those who supported her? Then the vision of Virginia speaking at a selectmen meeting in the cafeteria at NRHS saying to a Police Officer " remove that whole section over there" and the vision of that night tends to make me ask myself if Virginia was there (as a selectmen) for the people or for some other reason. Hard for me to understand how someone could be a leading member of a group called Let the People Speak and then turn around and attempt to toss out a whole group of towns people from a public open meeting of the Board of Selectmen. The BOS is there to among other things, Let residents speak, listen to them and help them if we can. We are not there to toss them out en mas, that to me is real bullying at its worse! After the recall and reorganization of 2012,
Virginia was part of the majority to fire town counsel in the middle of the month, forthwith, and rehire K&P, (which cost the taxpayers an extra 5 grand) she then proceeded to push the firing of Jeff Ritter, Virginia also voted for the settlement with Jeff Ritter (violating town bylaw by entering into a settlement agreement in excess of $1000.00 without town meeting vote) anyone can request a copy of this settlement agreement and see that it is called a settlement and the law firm of K&P billed the taxpayers for work on a settlement agreement. Virginia then voted to rehire Carol Skelton (she along with 2 others failed to do some simple math) then Virginia went before the advisory board looking for funds to pay Carol Skelton (she misrepresented to the advisory board she was there on behalf of the BOS) I informed the advisory board at that meeting that this was incorrect. Fortunately for the town of Templeton, Jeff Ritter decided to come back and he even agreed to work a short while for no salary, agreeing to work off the settlement he had just received a short time before. (Carol Skelton submitted a last day time sheet for I believe the number was 1.982 hours to take the last dollar out of the salary account for town coordinator) One result of the rehire of Carol Skelton; town meeting articles went off to the attorneys on Jeff Ritters last day, then Ms Skelton got hold of them, started making changes and sent them off to K&P so taxpayers paid twice for the same thing, two times because of the actions of Virginia. I have the emails and copies of both to show this. I wonder where Virginia was last year and why she did not raise the issue of this is not the warrant I signed? Fast forward to this year; Virginia sends an email with a copy of the rules for remote participation and states that participation via email is not allowed and tells me that I can not be involved with the goings on in town hall via email, that communicating with the selectmen office by email because it is against the remote participation rules, well that was troubling to say the least. It clearly states that remote participation is taking part during a public meeting while not being physically present. Setting an agenda or adding to is not taking part in the open meeting. I once added an item to the agenda via telephone call from Bob Columbus and he did the same for me by a phone call. It seems that Virginia was frustrated by being in the minority on the board (my opinion) and I know how that is, as I was there last year. I chose to stay and work for the people who elected me and for those who did not. It looks like Virginia chose to leave and chose me to blame for her departure. My opinion is Virginia could look in a mirror and see the real reason. Virginia could have chosen to stay on the board and worked thru this. Which is why I voted not to accept her resignation and to ask she reconsider. I admit I felt and feel very strongly on the things Virginia did as a selectmen because I did not think she was acting for the town's best interest as a whole. Everyone can look at her one year tenure and decide that for themselves. I hope this sheds some light on why Virginia and I disagree on so many things and why I would always point out the law and rules to her, because I care and I stayed when I was in the minority and Virginia chose to leave.

> Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:23:15 -0400
> Subject: Regarding Virginia Wilder's resignation
> From: kobrien@thegardnernews.com
> To: j_bennett506@hotmail.com
>
> Hi Mr. Bennett,
>
> I'm wondering if you have any further comments on Ms. Wilder's
> resignation and her statement that you bullied her.
> What do you disagree with her on and do you feel her accusations are warranted?
> I'm leaving for the day now, but the editor Dan Kittredge will be in
> for another couple of hours, please email him at
> dkittredge@thegardnernews.com or editorial@thegardnernews.com, if you
> have comments which you would like to be included in my story for
> tomorrow's paper.
> I would like to hear more about this issue and any other things you
> think are significant, if we could schedule a time to talk? I'm taking
> over the Templeton/Hubbardston/Phillipston beat as Mark Haranas is now
> covering Winchedon and Crime. Let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Kerry O'Brien
> The Gardner News
I believe if Virginia feels the warrant presented at town meeting is not the one she signed, she should go before the BOS and raise that concern and offer proof. I also would say that no matter our differences, Virginia nor her family should ever be threatened and I believe if this did happen, it should have been reported to the Police. I again know the feeling of having a long past court record posted publicly and to have family brought into the mix (my brother and my mother) I again stayed on in a position that I volunteered for and asked for. This was perhaps a long version of simply saying that Virginia and I have disagreed for a while and on many things and all I have ever done is point these out to her and to show her the rules and the law and I am still trying to see how that is wrong. Again, if Virginia wants to use me as an excuse to resign from the BOS, then okay and now lets move on with Facts, Law and Transparency because I do not wish to spend the better part of a year speaking to this. Virginia resigned, she blames me rather than taking responsibility for her own actions...end of story I hope, unless she decides to file suit.
Jeffrey Bennett 

1 comment:

  1. If you hand it out, you need to take it. The job of selectman is not a easy job. It is a lot harder if you are there for the wrong reasons. You have to represent the whole town, not just a few . This is what the people did not understand during the ATM. The people you represent expect you to work for them and protect the town. That is your duty. As far as the school people go, the vote of the town had already told them no. I do not think they understood what they were doing. If the override goes through, it is due to the arrogance of these people. As for Virginia, I would not have quit if I was her, but some people do not have the temperament to be a selectman. The things Jeff said are right. Trying to throw a quarter of the people out of a selectmen's meeting was not ok. I know people who have suffered from much personnel abuse, and hung in there. Things should not get personnel, but they do. It still does not make it right. I hope the rest of the board, does it's best to help the town stay afloat. Bev.

    ReplyDelete