Paul working for you.

Friday, May 1, 2015

Vote FARRELL on May 4th! Templeton is making progress.


Templeton is Making Progress
I’d like to thank the Royers, Tom and Luanne, for hosting Candidates Night (April 23, 2015). I’d also like to thank the Royers for providing a venue for selectmen meetings while we worked on repairs to Town Hall to make it accessible. I’d like to thank everyone who took time out of their busy lives to attend this event tonight.
While I did not grow up in Templeton, My husband and I have lived here for over 30 years. Our three children attended and graduated from NRSD. Both my husband and I have been active community members for years.  I am asking for your support; I am asking for your vote on May 4th for many reasons. Templeton is in transition. Templeton is on the road to recovery. Like many of our roads, the road to recovery is a bumpy road at times.
The successful conversion of East Templeton Elementary School into a Town Hall is one sign of Templeton’s recovery. Less than a year ago, we were awaiting a town meeting vote to expend money to repair the roof and replace the boiler. The conversion of East Templeton into a Town Hall could not have happened without the hard work and dedication of many people, some of whom are here tonight. Wil Spring stuck his neck out to ensure no further damage would occur to the roof. He took a lot of heat for that. Many of our “laid off” employees help move the furnishings from 690 Patriots to East Templeton. East Templeton is up and running as a town Hall. I would like to help complete that work as a selectman.
Another sign of Templeton’s recovery is that the Town Administrator position has been created and filled. The creation of the Town Administrator position was the primary recommendation by the Dept. of Revenue in 2009. We are fortunate to have a skilled town administrator in Bob Markel who brings expertise and decades of experience in municipal government to Templeton. Templeton is fortunate that Bob Markel has agreed to continue as town administrator for another year. At this point in time, Templeton needs stability in the town administrator position. The FY 16 budget includes funds to begin the hiring process next year for a full-time town administrator.  I would like to be part of the process to hire the next town administrator.
I didn’t wake up one morning and decide to run for the Board of Selectmen.


I became involved in politics because of my children. In the 1990’s the Waste Water Treatment Plant began taking in septage from out of state. The stench from the treatment plant was making my kids sick. I became involved and eventually discovered that the toxic substance that was making my family ill was acrylonitrile from Pioneer Plastics in Auburn ME. It had no business being dumped at the treatment plant in Templeton.
As I became more involved in the community and the schools, I decided to run for School committee. I served on school committee for 10 years. While serving on the school committee, the landfill became an issue. Working with a group of citizens (Templeton Citizens Against the Dump – TCAD), we were able to reinstate the bylaw prohibiting out of town trash. I ran for the Board of Selectmen in 2005 because I didn’t want another attempt by a large company to place a dump in Templeton and fill it with trash from out of town. I mention some of my prior civic involvement because I have learned a lot from all of these experiences. I work hard for the benefit of the town. I put in a lot of time researching issues that impact the town so that I can make informed decisions at meetings.
In a small town, it is difficult to avoid conflicts of interest. I work hard to avoid any conflicts of interest or appearances of Conflict of Interest. I am employed out of town as is my husband, Pete. Our children do not work in town government.  I have no siblings who work for the town in ANY department.
In the past, I have spoken out against using Free Cash and stabilization money to fund the operating budget. The former practice of using Free cash and stabilization money has kept the tax rate artificially low for many years. In my opinion, Free cash should be used to fund capital items like equipment, vehicles and building repairs – not salary increases or other ongoing operating expenses.
I spoke out against using 252 Baldwinville Rd as a Town Hall. The costs for bringing the building at 252 Baldwinville Rd up to code were significantly above the “estimate” of 1.9 million dollars ! All of the costs for 252 Baldwinville Rd which would have had to be repaid from money within the levy limit which would have left the town bankrupt.

Templeton is NOT bankrupt!
Unlike Winchendon, Templeton did not borrow money from the state to address our financial problems. In addition, Templeton’s bond rating has been revoked. Without a bond rating, Templeton can’t borrow money for projects that it can’t afford. Once the audits for FY 13 and FY 14 are complete, Templeton’s bond rating will be restored. Also, the DOR won’t certify Free Cash without the FY 13 and FY 14 audits’ completion. The impact of the loss of our bond rating and lack of Free Cash is that Templeton is forced to live within its means.
 Living within our means is not a bad thing!
I bring knowledge, experience and dedication to the Board of Selectmen. I bring stability to the board. Now is NOT the time for change. Templeton town government has made a lot of progress. To continue that progress, Templeton needs the stability I bring to the board.
Please vote for JULIE FARRELL on May 4th

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I can't imagine what our Select Board would be like without Julies experience, and knowledge. This is not the time to put a person without the experience of Julie's caliber, to serve three years on a board as important as the Board of Selectmen. As a town we have gained so much, but it would be too easy to fall back. The reality that under previous Select. Boards, decisions were made that impacted our town negatively for years and years, and that with out the input from Julie, and the support of others, the Town of Templeton would have not finally bit the bullet, and turned things around. Turning the town around is not a easy task, but we are on the road to recovery. We as a town, have more work to do, but we need the leaders to push us forward, not backwards. July Farrell is that leader. Please don't forget to vote. Bev.

    ReplyDelete