Paul working for you.

Thursday, October 18, 2012



This was submitted to the Gardner News in recognition of Tom Carroll. The snews refused to print it as written and I have forwarded you their reply also for the blog

Thanks,
Jeff



Mr. Bennett,
The letter to the editor about Judge Carroll is fine, but it implies he gave "special" treatment. If you want to resubmit the letter without this information, it should be able to run within the next few days.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Marcotte
Assistant Editor
The Gardner News
309 Central St.
Gardner, MA 01440
978-632-8000 Ext. 31




Remembering Tom Carroll

I first met Judge Carroll back in 1976, I stood before him for a DUI charge. I pleaded guilty and he ordered me to pay a $50.00 fine with $12.50 court cost. I stood before him again a short while down the road. Again the Judge asked about the case then asked me about it, then he left the court room for a short while and came back, he rendered a verdict and I believe he gave me a brake, again. I did not find out until 1998, after my dad died, that on that day, when Judge Carroll left the courtroom, he called my father and asked him about me. I was told my dad's response was "let him get out of it the same way he got into it" My dad was apparently trying to teach me a lesson and once again, Judge Carroll helped me out. My name is one of many on what is I am sure a very long list of people Tom Carroll helped out while he served on the bench. Another thing I found out was not only were my father and Tom Carroll friends, at one time the Judge was my fathers attorney. Little did I know back in 1976 that I would turn to Tom Carroll in 2011 for some help and advice. When I was considering a recount of Templeton election concerning my run for selectmen, it was Tom Carroll whom I turned to for advice on an attorney to represent me in a recount. Not only did he refer me to an attorney but we talked for a few minutes about my dad, politics and "the pickle" I was in, concerning my bid for selectmen. He asked how my mom was doing and wished me luck. One thing I will always remember is not only did Tom get back to me the same day, but he asked about my family and commented that it looked like I had gotten on the right track. Pretty amazing to me that not only did he help me out when I called him out of the blue, he spoke to me as if we had been talking on a regular basis, even though I had not spoken to him in over thirty years and that was in front of him in a court room where he must have seen literally thousands of people come before him. I am glad he was there back in 1976 and I am especially glad he was still around in 2011. Many people may remember Tom Carroll for many different reasons, I will always remember him for helping me in 1976 and 2011 when he had no obligation to do so. He just kept doing the good thing, and I thank him for doing so.

Jeffrey Bennett
Templeton, MA

Thanks Jeff for this. Tommy Carroll was a good friend of mine and certainly gave me plenty of good advise over the years. and who needs the snews - we have the blog! Pauly

5 comments:

  1. That's a very nice letter, Jeff. He sounded like an outstanding gentleman. I'm glad we have the blog to share these kind of things when the only alternative is a biased, sorry excuse of a newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a special person who can do his job, and can use common sence at the same time. It is sad the snews does not under stand that that even if he showed you special prefrence, that was the kind of man Mr. Carroll was. What is that old saying? Any excuse will do! This paper is working over time to put its self out of business. When it does it will not break my heart. Bev.

      Delete
  2. It looks to me that Judge Carroll was looking at a bigger picture than just punishing everyone that came before him and following the letter of the law. When you have to live in the same community in which you decisions are having their effect a little compassion goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought Judge Carroll was giving or trying to give me "special treatment", I believe he was trying to help a young guy out whom he may have thought deserved a another chance and i was only trying to give or show a little recognition to someone who I thought more than deserved it. As i stated, I am sure I am not the only one Tom Carroll tried to help out if there was a way he could, to me that shows someone who used his authority wisely.

    ReplyDelete