Paul working for you.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

TGN 4/10/2013


4/10/2013 7:38:00 AM
This citizen wants to decide what to do with own money
To the Editor: 4/10/2013
Robert C. Mitchell
Templeton

To the Editor:

I would like to take the opportunity you so generously offer on your op-ed page to express myself, and to offer my viewpoints on recent topics regarding Templeton.

First would be an old article regarding the last special town meeting vote to have the Board of Selectmen take over the duties of the Light and Water commissioners. At this meeting, it was quite obvious the article would not pass, so I voted for the BOS instead of the L&W to make sure they knew they did not have my vote of confidence.
There were also allegations of arrogance at the L&W, which made me smile as it was not too long ago the BOS and the former chairman tried their own brand of arrogance by voting to disregard the Department of Revenue report and to take all their agenda votes first and only allow discussion at the end of the meeting. Thus folks can be quite sure I wasn’t giving the BOS a vote of confidence either.

I am writing to make this perfectly clear as there are some people that think I have something against the L&W department, and this is absolutely not so. I think the municipal is great as the electric part at least provides a wonderful backdoor tax.

Yes, folks, they can take your dollars from your L&W bill and turn them into a gift to the town from them. Some call this a PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) but since there is no formula that I know of to determine how much this should be, I’ll call it a gift instead of backdoor and will explain how I feel about this gift.

As a Templeton citizen, I see two things I can only consider boondoggles in town. One goes round and round without creating much but discord and was created by the L&W Department. The other one was created by the old selectmen and is up on Baldwinville Road growing mold instead of paying taxes. With that record in mind, this citizen certainly wants to decide what to do with his own money and would surely like to see a formula for the gift, so he’ll know that there is an end point where taxes stop and lower rates for citizens take over. Who knows, if we lower the electric rate enough and clean up the water, we might even attract some businesses to help with the tax rate.

I would also like to comment on your coverage of the recent selectman’s meeting and the L&W legal bill issue as I have requested copies of the opinion the L&W/ town paid $10,000 for and the reasons why are quite clear in the original request to the L&W and in an additional request to the BOS, and both should be public records at the BOS office.

My issue is and has been the legal fees this town pays for opinions that far too often are not put in writing and become nothing more than an interpretation of what the lawyers said by someone affected by their opinion. I found it interesting at the selectmen meeting that the same individuals that decried selectman Bennett using the town’s attorney without the coordinator while stationed overseas, did not question the fact that the L&W didn’t go through the coordinator  to use the town’s attorneys or require a vote from their board for this expenditure. As far as I’m concerned, Mr. Bennett had every right to use the town’s attorneys as he did and I expect every board or commission member involved with legal questions, to be present, and not just getting an interpretation when the lawyers offer their very valuable opinions verbally.

In closing, I would like to reiterate that I am not against anyone. I grew up here in Templeton with most of people serving on the boards and commissions and having gone through recounts, recalls and rehires. Therefore, I have to say I value their services and opinions even when we disagree and must hope and believe that they are citizens for Templeton just as I am.

Robert C. Mitchell
Templeton



13 comments:

  1. Good to see a very well written editorial from you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again??? This is the same person who wrote a letter to the governor of mass by opening dear duvall....you cant make this up...opinion supported by facts

      Delete
  2. How soon Mr. Mitchel forgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Bob. One of the problems the Light and Water has, is the Manager does not live in town, so he really does not care what happens here, as long as his little world on Bridge Street is secure. The commissioners do not want us to see their lawyers findings, because they told them the truth. We can replace them, for one thing, and MGL says they do have to pay a PILOT, not maybe, they do have to pay a pilot. A lot of these things will come out in the wash. One thing when speaking about the BOS, it get confusing, as to who you are referring to. Maybe we could call them the good guys, and bad guys, or what ever term you guys can come up with. A few people can make all the difference in the world, in that position, as we all have found out the hard way. My opinion, Bev.

      Delete
  3. I do not think Mr. Mitchell has forgotton anything. I bet he is able to recall more than most would like! Mr. Mitchell is an asset to Templeton. Think about where we would be without eyes, ears, and brains like Mr Mitchell and other concerned citizens. Think about where we would be if nobody was watching the cookie jar. It is a shame that a bunch of corrupt liars and thieves were able to have him recalled from his term on the board. Where would we be now had it not been for the likes of some looking out for their own pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mr. Mitchell has smoked too much wacky tabacky outside the red onion..just my opinion

      Delete
    2. Mr.mitchell has killed too many brain cells from smoking so much pot...opinion supported by the FACTS...have enough of the red onion gang yet?

      Delete
    3. He def can RECALL more than most...only the red onion gang gets RECALLED! so the majority of templeton are liars and cheats for realizing mr.mitchell should keep his weed and spelling mistakes and keep them at the red onion

      Delete
  4. I would note that as I contacted town counsel through email, I cc'd the town coordinator, there is a time difference here, while it is about 5:30 AM Thursday, April 11 here as I trype this, I believe it is about 9:00PM Wednesday, April 10 there in Templeton, hence it could take about 3 days or more just to get an ok to ask and as I am not sure how long it would take to get the opinion back, I did what I thought was right. I was inquiring about a MGL and to be sure the selectmen had the authority to do what I felt they did, demand the general manager appear before the BOS and explain the financial goings on over ther and to ask about PILOT etc etc. I wanted the BOS to no bother with another elected commission who do not seem to have the interests of Templeton in mind. I had hoped to show some selectmen they had the authority to act on the behalf of the residents. But how quickly Virginia Wilder forgets she voted to fire attorney Mead and to rehire Len Kopelman which ended up costing the taxpayers 10 grand, 5 grand for fee of Lisa Mead and 5 grand for Len Kopelman because Virginia wanted it done now rather than wait. So lets look at why question cost and then see what the vote of Virginia cost the taxpayers. I was trying to work for the taxpayers Virginia, you on the other hand were working for the Skeltons as evidence on how hard you and Bob Columbus worked to bring back Carol Skelton. So it seems to me I work for the residents and you work for the Skeltons and this is another unfiltered comment by Jeff Bennett.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marajuana Mitchell did you write that editorial before or after smoking your nightly joint, wonder who helped you write that who held your hand?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A 954 You always turn to that when you have "nothing" to offer Templeton. Put up or shut up. The credit belongs to the person posting the Blog and is 100% of his doing!
    All previous Blogs of mine were also without help. Thanks for nothing again 9:54.
    Shareholder
    Dave Smart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave not the words a leader should use
      .thanks for nothing?? Sorry you lost my vote..opinion supprted by facts

      Delete